Monday, February 11, 2013

Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas takes a jab at Stephen King?

I finished Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas novel ODD INTERLUDE.  Quick read, and not bad...not his best, but still enjoyable.  In the back of the book, there's an excerpt for his next Odd Thomas book, titled DEEPLY ODD.  Now, I've heard Dean Koontz and Stephen King aren't exactly "BFFs"...and you can find people out there who love one and viscerally hate the other, crowning either Koontz or King as the BEST.  I personally enjoy reading both of them...King can scare the willies out of me, and Koontz can make me laugh out loud right before he scares me (and sometimes afterwards, too).  Different writing styles, different stories, different politics (one a liberal, the other more conservative), but both are wildly successful.

That said, I found this part of the DEEPLY ODD excerpt kinda humorous...read it for yourself, and decide whether or not Koontz is using his character Odd Thomas to take a jab at Stephen King's CHRISTINE:

Odd Thomas:  "I'm not one who believes that a vehicle can be possessed by a demonic spirit, and, driverless, speed around town to run down people for the thrill of tasting blood with its tires, any more than I believe that Herbie, that Volkswagen in that series of Disney movies, had a mind of its own with a desire to bring lovers together and to thwart villains.  If you believe the former, you have to believe the latter, and the next thing you know, you'll be taking your Ford, with its sexy GPS voice, to the car wash just to see her naked and soapy."

See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment